Choosing the right professional Montana roofing contractor to install or repair your roof is the most important step when you have to make a repair or replace your old roof. Why? Well, for starters, there’s an old saying, “The most important day in the life of your roof is the day it’s installed. “Proper installation procedures” are vitally important.
In selecting the right professional to handle your roofing needs, here are some simple things to look for:
- Make sure your roofing contractor has the proper insurance coverage and bonding. Did you know that when you hire a roofing contractor who is not properly insured and bonded, you may become the “general contractor” and are then responsible for not only any damage to your home, but you may also be liable if a roofing employee gets hurt while working on your home.
- Make sure your roofing contractor has a valid contractor’s license for your city, county and/or state and obtains all of the necessary permits to work on your home. Remember, if the contractor does not obtain all of the necessary permits, you may be held legally liable by your city or county and, in some situations, you may be unable to sell your home.
- Make sure your roofing contractor offers workmanship warranties (not just manufacturer warranties). This will protect you from shoddy installation procedures.
Some of he major reasons for manufacturer warranties being void are due to:
- Improper installation
- Inadequate attic ventilation
- Condensation of moisture
- Improper nail placement
- Natural disasters (lightning, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, hailstorms, excessive wind)
- Too many layers being applied to a roof